Take Your Parents to the Playground Day & Little Free Library Dedication
Children’s Communication Center invites YOU!
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE EVENT INCLUDE:
- As May is Better Hearing & Speech Month transitions to June, Children’s Communication Center will be dedicating three book- filled Little Free Library units at the City of Tallahassee’s Winthrop Park playground focusing on our theme of Language, Literacy & Learning and highlighting the importance of reading to your child/ren, reading together, and building a “love” for words and books.
- Research shows early language develops stronger literacy and both create a foundation for learning & academic success. A child who reads will become a child who writes!
- The three Little Free Library units will be painted by a local artist, Peter Koenig. He is a member of the BAET Design Group which is a Tallahassee based artist collective which also includes members Alex Koenig and Soymeeshii.
- In addition, local children’s author, Willie Brown, also known to many in the community as Coach Brown, will be reading and signing his children’s books. Visit our Philanthropy Share story featuring Rockhead Synergy & Willie Brown.
- We are fortunate to have Shelley Harshbarger, a professional and local storyteller, joining us and spinning tales to stir each listener’s creativity and imagination. Her connection to our theme of Language, Literacy and Communication is highlighted in her 2001 article.
- Each family is encouraged to bring a book or two to gift to the children/families supported by the Guardian ad Litem program.
- During the event, the children will enjoy the Winthrop Park playground as well as other child/family activities.
- Be sure to read The Art of Playing describing the types of play and the importance of play for our children!
- Tasty bakery treats will be provided by Q-Ti Cakes to top off the day’s event! Be sure to read our Community Partner Share feature about Lolani ‘Q’ Green & her bakery!
Bring a book, hear a book, make a book & take a book, plus more!
As an ASHA certified Speech-Language Pathologist celebrating almost 25 years in this community I am proud and thrilled to be highlighting Language, Literacy & Learning with the Little Free Library dedication, featuring many talented community partners, and donating books to the young children & families of GAL!